> 고객센터 > 자료 게시판
제      목 3 Tips for Showing Strengths in Your Application Essays
작 성 자 totalgroup
Date : 2012/12/04 | Hits : 4742

One of most important pieces of advice I can give you regarding your personal statements and application essays is this: Show, don’t tell.

Here are three tips to help you achieve this must-have writing goal:

1. Show the steps you’ve taken. If you are writing about a goal you achieved or a project you completed, providing the step-by-step process you followed will add depth and validity to your claims. “Within six months I was promoted to Junior Account Manager” is not nearly as compelling as spelling out the specific measures you took to obtain the recognition that landed you your fast-tracked promotion. Similarly, don’t just tell the adcom that you have overcome your weakness of procrastination; instead, show them by giving concrete examples of specific things you’ve done to become a more efficient person.
  2. Provide examples of strengths and skills. You say that you are creative, mature, and an excellent leader. But how? What have you done specifically and what impact have you made on your teammates/co-workers/company/community/world-at-large? Saying that you’re creative won’t cut it; instead share a story or paint a picture (with words) that truly depicts the creative workings of your mind.
  3. Offer details whenever possible. Your story of success will be more believable and more memorable if you provide a few details. Remember, when showing instead of just telling about your achievements, your readers are going to want to see a picture of who you are and what you’ve done. Add vibrant details – talk about the number of people on your team; the amount of money you raised; the eager and nervous feelings you experienced while launching your new product; the fear you felt, followed by the extreme remorse, and then the resolve to do better that you experienced when you botched a project – all these details will add color and life to the picture you’re painting for the adcom.

Boastful claims like, “I am a team leader” or “I have excellent communication skills” won’t do much to convince the adcom of your strengths if they’re not backed up with evidence. Remember when writing your essays: show, don’t tell.

꼬릿말을 입력해 주세요
totalgroup [비공개글]
L[RE] MBA 에세이 컨설팅, 지원요령 및 인터뷰 컨설팅 신청과 논문 컨설팅은
info@totalessay.co.kr 이메일로 신청 및 의뢰 사항을 보내주세요
totalgroup [비공개글]
totalgroup [비공개글]
Comment
이름: 비밀번호:
MBA Admissions: How to Show Growth in Your MBA Application
How Can You Get Accepted After Doing Something Stupid?
  • 이용약관 | 개인보호정책 | Contact Us
  • 사업자등록번호: 129-36-04102 대표: Jay Lee
  • 대표번호: 010-7514-0972 Email: info@totalessay.co.kr
  • Copyright:2002-2021 Totalessay.co.kr 토탈에세이 코리아 All rights reserved.